The Association of Public Health Physicians of Nigeria (APHPN) Benue State Branch in collaboration with Medical Women’s Association of Nigeria (MWAN) Benue State Branch, and Gender & Environment Risk Reduction Initiative (GERI) marked the Global Hand washing Day 2021 on 15th & 18th October 2021.
The theme was: “Our Future is at Hand – Let’s Move Forward Together”. We made a clarion call to stakeholders for coordinated action toward universal hand hygiene; thereby increasing awareness about hand washing to prevent diseases and save lives.
During the two day activity, we visited eight schools in Makurdi metropolis Benue state. We distributed IEC materials on proper hand washing, participatory health talks and demonstration on proper hand washing. Hand washing buckets (Veronica buckets) and liquid soap were presented to each of the schools, to entrench the practice of hand washing thereafter. We interacted with over 2000 children during the activities.
Schools visited with proper hand washing demonstrated to about 1000 students on Friday, 15th October 2021;
- UBE Primary School Wadata, Makurdi (150 students).
- UBE Secondary School Wadata, Makurdi (100 students).
- Jewel Model Primary & Secondary school, Makurdi (750 students).
Schools visited, proper hand washing demonstrated to about 1020 students on Monday, 18th October 2021
- Grace path school, Katsina Ala street, Makurdi (100 students).
- L.G.E.A Secondary school, Wurukum, Makurdi (500 students).
- L.G.E.A Primary school, Wurukum, Makurdi (300 students).
- L.G.E.A Primary school, Wadata, Makurdi (120 students).